The new temporary visa for parents of migrants, available in the latter half of 2017, is expected to have the following conditions:
- Only Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens will be able to sponsor their parents.
- A sponsor must meet household income and character requirements.
- A sponsor must have lived in Australia for at least four years.
- The sponsorship and visa applications will be assessed separately. A person must be approved as a sponsor before a visa application can be made.
- Only one set of parents per household (that is maximum two people) can be sponsored for this visa at a time.
- The parents must also meet identity, health and character requirements.
- The visa can be granted more than once but the maximum stay is 10 years in total.
- They will also be required to hold, and maintain, health insurance, from an Australian provider, valid for their intended period of stay in Australia.
- Sponsors must also agree to undertake certain obligations in relation to those they are sponsoring.
The visa cost will be $5,000 for a 3 year stay and $10,000 for a 5 year stay.
Confirmation of these details will not be available until parliament sits to consider the proposal later in the second half of this year.
More information is available under our ‘Parent and Partner Visa’ section of our website.