Student visa applicants will soon need to apply through either of the following visa subclasses if they wish to study in Australia:
- Subclass 500 (Student)
- Subclass 590 (Student Guardian).
The immigration department considers the changes will simplify the international student visa framework by:
- Streamlining application and processing requirements for student visa applicants.
- Making the English language requirements, financial capacity requirements and genuineness of temporary entry criteria common to all applicants.
- Simplifying enrolment, financial and other requirements for onshore applications.
- Replacing the current assessment level framework with new requirements to strengthen the integrity of the student visa programme.
- Making visa conditions clearer to student visa holders as to what courses they are permitted to study and when a change in a course requires a new student visa application.
Subject to the legislative change process the Department intends to implement the review recommendations by mid-2016.